Sunday, August 22, 2010

Prompt #14: Sneaky Snake Goes Dancin'

Okay I don't think the snake was dancing, but it was definitely being sneaky. My story is when a friend and I, we must have been 16 at the time, had been left to baby sit my brother, 3 years younger than me, and my two younger sisters and toddler brother. For some reason I didn't have on my glasses, and you have to realize that the last time a doctor told me my actual vision stats it was 20/200 and this was sometime around then, lol. So I was walking around the house blind, and my friend was getting my toddler brother to stop playing with the phone when she sees this snake right there by the phone! She scoops him up and shaking in her boots says, Miss Sunshine, " there is a snake over there by the phone!" In a very imperative whisper. I think she didn't want to upset the snake and I don't blame her, lol. So I, not believing her and thinking she saw the telephone cord or something, laughingly walk over to check it out. I'm blind, remember. So as I stick my head down to peer at the phone I came almost nose to nose with that snake! I really can't remember point A to point B at that point, lol. But somehow I got everybody screaming and hollering out the door and lickety split over to Grandma's house which was about a yard away. She gave us a stick or a shovel, can't remember which and told us to go back and kill it. So we took my 3 year younger brother and stood on the porch shouting encouragement and let him be the brave warrior, lol. He couldn't find it. I didn't think I'd ever sleep again. My Dad found it about a week later and according to my Mom grabbed the first thing he could get a hold of which was a spatula and kept stunning it while he yelled for her to get him a shovel or anything that would kill it. It turned out to be a copperhead! I've not seen any since moving to Houston, but I know there out there and hope they stay hidden!

4 comments:

Cindy Price said...

I would hate to come face to face with a snake! And a copperhead, as in venom!! YIKES!!

Pirate Princess said...

*Shiver* I refuse to write about the tug of war I watched Edward have with the one trying to get away under Grandma's house. That thing STANK.

Elizabeth said...

Yikes! A snake on the lose! Double yikes!

Edward Ellsworth said...

I love how these snakes keep turning out to be copperheads.(Mom's story was a copper head too) Makes the death of the snake more justifiable I guess. I really should stop reading family posts because there is almost always a conflict of memory. :D